2020 was when schools and business shut down for the pandemic, a considerable number of people went to ZOOM to have online conferences using their PCs and smartphones. Also, it isn’t only for business conferences and online classes. Loved ones use it to stay in contact during hard times. The religious institution even uses it to spread love and teachings when people need it the most.
This article will explain how to schedule a ZOOM meeting and host one in a few and easy steps.
Sign Up/ Log In to ZOOM
An account isn’t necessarily needed to attend a meeting; you can join as a guest, but if you want to host a meeting with people, you need an account.
If you don’t have an account, you can always sign up with it, and it’s free if you have an account; log in with your credentials.
How to sign up?
Step 1: First, install the app; if you don’t have it or if you use the zoom from your PC, download and install the app from the official website.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Sign In’; for verification purposes, it’ll ask for the date of birth.
Step 3: Next, it’ll ask for an Email, first name, and last name.
Step 4: ZOOM will send you a confirmation mail on your Email ID. Open the mail and fill in the rest of the details for your account by clicking on the link.
Step 5: Click on the ‘Activate Account’ in the mail. On the next page, fill in the name and password according to the criteria mentioned above. And tap continues.
Step 6: Return to the app and now sign in to the app with the ID and password.
That’s how you make an account, and don’t forget the username and password.
How to Log In?
Step 1: After opening the app, click on the ‘Sign in’ option.
Step 2: It’ll ask for the Email address and password; just enter the correct credentials, and you’ll be logged in. OR you can ‘sign in’ with your Google or Facebook account.
Step 3: You’ll be logged in to the account, and then you can host or attend a meeting.
MEET NOW Vs. SCHEDULED MEETING
MEET NOW is the instant meetings that are hosted at that instant. You can share the invitation very quickly using the ways mentioned above. In contrast, a scheduled meeting is a one time or recurring meeting. The host schedules and can invite the people to meet in advance and send out the reminder via mail or different ways.
How to set up a ZOOM Meeting (MEET NOW)?
The host is the person who starts a meeting, and people, later on, join it. People can participate through links spread around by the host, which can be done in different ways like WhatsApp/ messages/ Mail etc. Meetings can be business-related, an online class if you’re a teacher, or a simple online get together between family and friends.
We’ll discuss in detail how to host a ZOOM meeting below:
The process is straightforward and a matter of seconds. A 3 step process:
Step 1: Open the app on a smartphone or PC. Click on the ‘Schedule the meeting.’
Step 2: Send out theinvite to all the participants using text or Email.
Step 3: Before starting, inform them at what time it will commence. And, start it and admit the participants when their request pops up on the screen.
This is how you set up a zoom meeting.
Inviting before the meeting
There are several ways to invite people. You can send theinvitations via different social media platforms like Email, WhatsApp, messages, etc., or by ‘invite by phone’ or by ‘invite a root system,’ still it requires a Cloud Room Connector add-on, which can be purchased.
Inviting during the meeting
After you’ve started, people who already have the invitations join by requesting you. If you want someone else to join after you’ve started, you can still share the link through Email/ contacts/ URL or invitation text.
How to schedule a ZOOM Meeting (Scheduled)?
Scheduling a meeting is very easy and saves time. It can be scheduled ahead of time, and people can be invited a lot before. This section discusses in detail how a person can host a ZOOM meeting and schedule with friends in advance:
Step 1: Open the ZOOM client and sign in.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Schedule,’ and it takes you to a scheduler.Step 3: You can edit the settings like
- Topic: Enter a name for the meeting
- Start: You can select a date and time for your meeting. You can start it at any time before the scheduled time.
- Duration: you can choose the duration. This is only for scheduling purposes. It will not terminate even if it surpasses the mentioned time.
- Time Zone: ZOOM, by default, uses the computer’s time zone.
- Recurring meeting: You can select it to be a recurring meeting as it saves time (the meeting ID will remain the same for every recurring conference).
- Generate Automatically: Create a random but unique meeting ID.
- Passcode: Set a passcode. Participants will have to enter it every time they are to join the recurring meeting.
- Waiting Room: Enable Waiting Room.
- Host: you can choose if you would like the host video on or off when joining.
- Participants: You can also choose the participants’ videos to be on or off when joining. Even if it is turned off by the host, the participants will have the option to start their video.
It will allow users to join in using Telephone only, Computer Audio only, Both, or 3rd Party Audio options.
- Select a calendar to add the meeting too and send out invites to participants.
- Outlook: it will generate a .ics file that will open in Outlook, Windows Mail, or iCal.
Google Calendar: Open the web browser and open the invite in Google Calendar for a reminder.
Step 4: There are other advanced options in ZOOM discussed below:
- Enable join before host: It allows the participants to join before the host joins it. The meeting ends after the 40-minutes for Basic users if 3 or more people join it.
- Mute participants on entry: If ‘join before the host’ wasn’t selected, this would mute participants as soon as they join in. Participants can unmute themselves after they join.
- Only authenticated users can join: Restrict access so that only people who have the meeting ID and passcode can join it.
- Record the meeting automatically: By enabling it, the conference will be recorded automatically to the computer’s hard drive or on the cloud. Participants do need permission from the host to record it.
- Schedule for: If you give scheduling authority to another user, you will be able to choose who you want to schedule.
- Alternative hosts: You can enter the email address of another ZOOM user who also has a license, so they can start it when you’re unable to do it for any reason or you’re delayed for it.
- Language Interpretation: You can enable language interpretation.
Step 5: Now click on the schedule to finish.
How to invite people to a scheduled meeting?
Through Desktop Client,
Step 1: ‘Sign in’ to the ZOOM Desktop Client.
Step 2: Click on ‘Schedule a meeting.’
Step 3: Click the Meetings. Select the meeting to which you want to invite people to and click ‘copy invitation.’
Step 4: Send out the link to the participants in advance.
Through Web Portal,
Step 1: ‘Sign in’ to the ZOOM Web Portal.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Meetings.’
Step 3: You can set the name and time for your meetings and share the invitation by clicking on ‘copy the invitation’ and send it to participants in different ways.
Step 4: The invitation contains the Meeting ID and passcode. By entering the details, you finally join other people in the conference.
- If you’re speaking or even listening, you should look directly to the camera to show your engagement. A thumbnail video layout to monitor yourself so you know what other people see.
- It’s advisable to mute yourself when you’re surrounded by people. The smallest of noises can be picked up in the call and can interrupt the host.
- There is a fast way to unmute yourself during the video call. Press and hold the Space Bar to unmute/ mute yourself.
- Attend your calls in a well-lit room. So, your face is clearly visible to the host.
- A very important point to remember is that not everyone is technically capable. So, be patient with them.
So, this is how to schedule a ZOOM meeting and host one.